Discovered in Cherville Street, Romsey, in the 1980’s, these wig curlers are thought to have belonged to a John Marsh, who lived in Romsey from 1767 to 1776. Fashion in the eighteenth century, especially the latter half of the century, was becoming more and more elaborate, and wigs were becoming commonplace in men’s fashion. Marsh was articled as a clerk to William Daman, a lawyer who lived in Church Street. Marsh kept a journal from the age of 13, in which he discusses his problematic hair troubles. He wrote about trying a frisé hair style, which resulted in him catching head lice. After that incident, he decided to shave his head and buy a wig, which would have maintained it’s bountiful curls with these wig curlers. Marsh later abandoned this wig, however, as he thought it was too troublesome to deal with.
The wig curlers can be found in the display cabinets in King John’s House, along with other artefacts that were found locally.