Wheeler and Wilson Sewing Machine

Wheeler & Wilson Manufacturing Company,  1856-1905 In 1848 Nathaniel Wheeler joined the firm Warren & Woodruff of Watertown, Connecticut,  under the name of Warren, Woodruff & Wheeler.  Mr. Wheeler took the full charge. With such success he was seeking other branches of work to add when he was by accident introduced to the sewing machine invention. In 1850 he made the acquaintance of Allen Benjamin Wilson , who was engaged in perfecting a prototype for a reciprocating shuttle machine but needed aid in patenting his invention and introducing it to the public .  Mr Wilson induced Mr Wheeler to join that enterprise and a second reciprocating shuttle machine was made and Wilson’s first patent was granted in the US on November 12 1850. Various improvements to the invention were made and patented.  In 1856 the company moved to Bridgeport Connecticut and became the largest and most successful manufacturer of sewing machines in the 1850s and 1860s. In 1876, the new Wheeler and Wilson No. 8 machine was introduced which is the model displayed in King John’s House Museum.  It was specifically designed for Light Manufacturing and Family use.  It was awarded a commendation at the 1876 Philadelphia Exhibition “.. the Wheeler & Wilson new machine was the most completely successful, failing in nothing that was given to it.  The beauty of its stitch, especially on leather, was unsurpassed and it obtained the second award “for superiority of quality of work in leather stitching.” Sources
  1. fiddlebase.com